Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Nothin' Doing




Mmm. Broccoli.

After a morning of de-stressing with acupuncture and massage, I showed up at the oncologist’s office in a rather jovial mood.  As usual, they whisked me right into an exam room, this time bypassing the lab, and the doctor arrived almost immediately.

He went over what the gastro doctor had said, adding detail.   My original diagnosis had been somewhat large and in multiple sites in my stomach.  What the recent endoscopy found was a small region that still carries lymphoma cells.  It’s such a small region that the PET scan didn’t detect it.   Nevertheless, there is something there, and there are several possible paths forward.

The oncologist affirmed that he originally had said it would take six months for the lymphoma to reduce to “undetectable” amounts. (They don’t say “cancer free” anymore because we all have cancer cells in us.  It’s just that we usually have very few, and our immune system takes care of them.)   So one possible path is to do – pretty much nothing - just monitor my blood levels and repeat the biopsies in three months.   What I have is an indolent, slow-growing condition. So, even if the remaining lymphoma has resisted radiation and is growing again, that growth is likely to be minimal, and the treatment in three months is the same thing he would do now. 

That treatment, the aggressive approach now, would be to do more radiation and/or use the drug retuxan, a non-chemotherapy anti-cancer agent that has been around for a long time, something he had mentioned earlier in my diagnosis.  

He left it to me to decide, although he said he would opt for the wait-and-see approach with one added element.  Even though I tested negative for the H pylori bacteria, which is usually associated with my condition, he thinks there is the possibility of a false negative.  So he would put me on a two-week course of a special antibiotic, which might hasten the shrinkage of the lymphoma.  I agreed to this course of action in which, as he explained, we are now waiting for my immune system to do its job.

So I’ll go back to weekly acupuncture and look into any other immune system boosting foods and activities.  Debby and I left the doctor and headed to Newsroom CafĂ© for a ginger-wheatgrass-spirulina-bee pollen- mango - and banana shake. Mmmm.  If you’ve got diet/activity suggestions or want to join me for a green drink or some exercise, I’d love to have the company.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Craig, I am glad things seem to be going well. Have you reconsidered Ionized Water? I know you put the idea on hold a while back. The URL attached is a blog entry I wrote on the 3 benefits of Ionized Water. In The Enzyme Factor by Hiromi Shinya, MD, he specifically mentions Ionized Water. Dr. Shinya invented the colonoscopy & removing polyps without surgery. I would be happy to loan you his book. Ionized water is something that your whole family should be drinking. I know that brand K is very expensive. We have a machine that is half the price. Not only can you drink water the way God intended it, you can use the water to clean your fruits & veggies of any residues that you may not want to ingest. Please feel free to call me, zero pressure, 818-519-2591. I can even tell you about a water store that has ionized water in North Hollywood. DGL is a natural, pleasant, if you like the taste of licorice, way to deal with H pylori. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm drinking ionized water from House of Living Water in Palms. Some friends turned me on to the place after the water solved their stomach problems. It does go dow easier. I may eventually get a machine to make it, but the good vibes at HOLW always make me feel good for making the trip . . . And now my kids always ask for "House of Living, please." How can that be a bad thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Craig,
    I just checked the blog today. I'm so happy to read the almost good news. I hope the news and your health will continue to improve.
    Love, Jean Katz

    ReplyDelete